It took me a while to decide what design I wanted to do for Vána. I knew that I wanted a simple gold under gown and a green over gown. The under gown always stayed the same design, a plain long sleeved gown with arm ties for the forearm. The over gown underwent many design changes and phases. At first I wanted to have bell shaped sleeves on the over gown. Then I decided that I wanted sleeves that opened from the elbow down, leaving a bunch of fabric to hang loose at the elbow. I also experimented a lot with the neckline. I first decided to have it match the under gown's neckline, then changed it to a low scoop neckline. I finally settled on the triangular neckline. I always wanted to have the rectangular cut outs in the skirt of the gown, though I was undecided for a while if I wanted to edge them or not.
Under Gown: I chose to follow a pattern (for once) for the under gown. I used Butterick B4827 with the thought that I would add ties to the lower arms. I bought a pale gold, textured material (the texture was random crinkling here and there). I am not quite sure what material it is as I didn't see a name to it when I bought it. It had a nice drape and sheen to it; not too stiff and not too shiny. I followed the pattern directions, altering it as I went for fit. I am rather pleased with the turnout of the gown. I used a gold coloured cord for the lacing in the back. I added wrist ties out of the same gold cord to give a little bit more detail to the gown as it is a very simple pattern. I really love this gown, I hope to get in a photo shoot soon, maybe when it snows for the first time.
This was my first time sewing a trim around sharp corners. I found a really cool trim with a textured flower pattern that I thought would match to character really well. I am really quite pleased with how the trim turned out. I took my time sewing it so that I would look smooth and clean. I didn't buy enough of the trim to add to the neckline unfortunately. Maybe my next trip to Fabricville will include getting more of that trim!
Boots: The boots are the same ones that I used for my Nausicaa cosplay.
Cloak: The cloak was made out of an old curtain that I purchased at Value Village with the hope of being able to use the fabric for a project. It has a nice weave to it and a nice woody colour to it. I have no idea what it is made out of but it is quite sturdy and easy to work with. You can check out how I easily transformed the curtain into a cloak by checking my tutorial.
Belt: I found a really cool leaf maille belt at value village which I had to get for this costume. It helps to give the gowns a little bit more form around the waist as they are both a little loose.
I really love how this costume turned out. It is perfect for the winter which we have a lot of in Canada. I can't wait to wear this to The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug in December! I entered this costume into the Ottawa Pop Expo 2013 masquerade. I didn't win anything but it was still fun to go on stage and show my work!