Dress - The dress itself was separated into three different parts: the bodice, the shoulder strap and the skirt. The bodice had a sweetheart shaped neckline so I took my pattern I drafted for Mew Zakuro and modified it. The shoulder strap and skirt pattern were hand drafted first using my measurements. I then made a mock up of the dress in order to determine where to take it in and fit it to my body. I marked all the new pinned seams with chalk before I took it off my body. Before I took the mock up apart, I marked and the cut the seam allowance from every seam that was pinned. The mock up was then pulled apart and used as my official pattern for the dress.
Sash - The sash was simple to make. A piece of fabric that had a curve on the bottom and a straight edge on the top was made out of a sand coloured fashion suede. It has a hem along the straight edge and a fringe along the curved edge. It snaps to the side of the dress for easy removal.
Belt - The belt was made using a brown fashion suede. The pattern was drawn out to fit to my measurements and the curve of the waistline, It snaps shut in the back and snaps to the dress in the front to keep it from riding up. It was adorned with beads and some feathers one on side.
Boots - I wanted to make the boots completely from scratch so I used Butterick's B5233 pattern as a base. The main portion of the boot was made using different coloured fashion suede whereas the sole of the boot was made using brown vinyl. I inserted invisible zippers into the back of each boot and while it takes a hell of a lot of effort to close them over my legs, it certainly does the trick! The boots are adorned with feathers and beads on the inside of each leg. They were the hardest thing to make in this costume and unfortunately I think that they will only last another wear or two. I will probably have to look for a replacement pair if I want to continue wearing her.
|Adding the fringe|